TORNADO WATCH & WARNING POLICY AND PROCEDURES
The following policy and procedures have been adopted to promote safety and limit confusion during the tornado season:
Tornado Watches are announced by the weather bureau when severe weather conditions exist.
- If a tornado watch is announced before the buses have started out in the morning, school will be closed until an all-clear is announced.
- If a tornado watch is announced during school hours, the District will continue normal activities but move recess and physical education classes indoors.
- If a tornado watch is announced or is in effect after school, all buildings will be vacated and all events an meetings will be cancelled.
Tornado Warnings are announced when tornadoes have been seen in the area.
- If a tornado warning is announced before buses leave in the morning, school will be closed until an all-clear is announced.
- If children are in school when a warning is announced they will be kept at school and precautionary measures will be taken until an all-clear is announced.
- If a tornado warning is announced or is in effect after regular school hours, all meetings or events will be cancelled. People at school will go to designated areas until the warning is cleared.
Parent Cooperation is needed at these times.
- Make arrangements in advance with neighbors for times when you may not be home so that children have appropriate security.
- Unless necessary, do not telephone the school during these times, as phones are needed to make special arrangements with radio stations and buses.
- Public announcements will be made on radio stations: WKZO (590 AM), WLKM (1510 AM & 96.0 FM), WSTR (1230 AM & 99.3 FM), WNWN (98.0 FM), and WKFR (103.3 FM).
- Public announcements will be made on the following television stations: WWMT (Channel 3), WNDU (Channel 16) and WOOD TV (Channel 8 & 41).
Sign up for closing alerts through WWMT Mobile Alerts.